What is special about this course?
If you want to discover more about Gaelic society and its origins whilst gaining a high level of fluency in the Gaelic language, then this lively BA (Hons) Gaelic Language and Culture course is for you.
Themes include: the arts; contemporary and traditional literature; minority language issues; and oral tradition; you will also explore the relationship of Gaelic to other languages, including Irish Gaelic.
You’ll be taught in a supportive environment at Lews Castle College UHI on the Isle of Lewis, or at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI on the Isle of Skye, by a dedicated team who will help you gain confidence in the spoken and written language, offering small classes and individual support where necessary.
- Become a confident, fluent speaker of Gaelic by immersion in the language, learning through Gaelic during your programme of study
- Learn about the cultural evolution of Gaelic
- Successful completion of the course will give you a recognised qualification for entry to teacher training
- You will undertake a three-week work placement in year 1
- You may choose to take part in an exchange programme to Canada or Ireland in your fourth year
- You can study full-time or part-time to suit your personal circumstances
We offer modern student accommodation at a number of our locations.
- 3 Scottish Highers at grade BBC or above, preferably including Gaelic (learners) or Gàidhlig (fluent speakers) at grade B or above OR
- 2 A levels at grade BC or above
- You will be required to attend an interview (on campus or by phone) to determine which of the two parallel first-year programmes will be most appropriate to your Gaelic language skills
- Applicants with other qualifications or experience will be considered on an individual basis
- An Cùrsa Inntrigidh (Access to Gaelic programme) - a distance learning programme, enabling students with no previous knowledge of Gaelic to achieve the entry level
- Applicants who can demonstrate both advanced fluency and excellent written Gaelic may qualify for advanced entry direct to the second year of the programme
Year 1 - CertHE
Year 1: Intensive language year; depending on level of ability on entry, you will follow either:
- An Cùrsa Comais (for intermediate learners)
- An Cùrsa Adhartais (distance learning equivalent) OR
- Gàidhlig agus Conaltradh (for more fluent speakers)
You will undertake a three-week Gaelic work placement.
Year 2 - DipHE
- Gaelic language 2
- Modern short story
- Poetry since 1900
- Oral culture
- Scottish onomastics
- Gaelic scholars and voyagers
- The Gaelic world
- Language, culture and identity
Year 3 - BA
- Gaelic language 3
- Modern Gaelic prose writing
- Irish language
- Traditional culture
- Gaelic poetry 1600-1900
- History of Gaelic language
- Creative writing
Year 4 - BA (Hons)
- Gaelic dialects
- Translation Skills
- The Aos Dana
- Celtic belief systems
- Tradition in the 21st Century
- Opportunity to study in Nova Scotia or Ireland
You must also complete a dissertation.
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- You will learn via face-to-face tutorials, lectures and practical language classes
- Some modules are studied online and by video conference or telephone tutorial
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 4 years @ 40 hours per week
- Part-time (structured): 8 years @ 20 hours per week
Number of hours per week indicates the total number of hours you should dedicate to the course, which includes time spent in lectures and your own time spent on individual study and research.
Where can I study my course?
- Lews Castle College UHI - Years 1, 2 and 3 only
- Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI
For students normally domiciled in Scotland or the European Union/EEA (outside of the UK) and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£1,820||£1,820|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year||£645||£645|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)||£215||£215|
*The Home-Scotland/EU fee rate is set by the Scottish Government and will be confirmed by March 2019.
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term time address in Scotland studying this course full time, the following fees apply:
**4th year free only for students studying full-time who have paid for the previous 3 years at the University of the Highlands and Islands.
Part-time (per 20 credit module) - £1,500 (2018-19 and 2019-20).
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
There are a number of funding options available to UK and EU students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living whilst studying.
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£11,100||£11,650|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year**||£5,550||£5,820|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)**||£1,850||£1,940|
**There is no part-time study option for Tier 4 sponsored international students.
Further information on international course fees.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time RUK and International undergraduate students for continuous and contiguous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact your enrolling college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed your BA (Hons) Gaelic Language and Culture course, you might like to consider careers in:
- Gaelic cultural, development and arts agencies
- Gaelic media
Can I progress into further study?
You can progress from the BA (Hons) Gaelic Language and Culture to MSc Material Culture and Gàidhealtachd History, or train for employment in radio/TV/online with the Diploma in Gaelic Media.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.