What is special about this course?
An advanced course in navigation and meteorology for candidates for the Coastal Skipper Certificate. The syllabus makes some provision for revision of subjects in the elementary course but those who have not acquired the knowledge set out in the elementary course are unlikely to be able to assimilate all the subjects covered in the advanced course in the time available.
- No formal entry requirements
- dead reckoning and estimated position,the poition line
- the magnitic compass, position fixing
- tides, tidal streams, buoyage, lights, pilotage, echo sounder
- radio aids to navigation, logs (speeds and distance measuring)
- deck log, meteorology, anchoring, rule of the road, safety at sea,
- signals,navigation in restricted visibility, passage planning and making.
How will I study my course?
- Short course
How long will my course last?
Short course 40 hours. By arrangement .
Where can I study my course?
- Lews Castle College, UHI, Stornoway
- Barra Learning Centre
- Colaisde Bheinn na Faoghla (Benbecula)
Please contact Admissions at Lews Castle College UHI for more information on start dates.
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.