RYA Coastal Skipper - Shorebased Course Certificate
What is special about this course?
An advanced course in navigation and meteorology for candidates for the Coastal Skipper Certificate. The syllabus makes some provision for revision of subjects in the elementary course but those who have not acquired the knowledge set out in the elementary course are unlikely to be able to assimilate all the subjects covered in the advanced course in the time available.
- No formal entry requirements
- dead reckoning and estimated position,the poition line
- the magnitic compass, position fixing
- tides, tidal streams, buoyage, lights, pilotage, echo sounder
- radio aids to navigation, logs (speeds and distance measuring)
- deck log, meteorology, anchoring, rule of the road, safety at sea,
- signals,navigation in restricted visibility, passage planning and making.
How will I study my course?
- Short course
How long will my course last?
Short course 40 hours. By arrangement .
Where can I study my course?
- Lews Castle College, UHI, Stornoway
- Barra Learning Centre
- Colaisde Bheinn na Faoghla (Benbecula)
Please contact Admissions at Lews Castle College UHI for more information on start dates.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for RYA Coastal Skipper - Shorebased Course Certificate
Please contact our Admin team for further information on:
01851 770 000
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Lews Castle College UHI. Lews Castle College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.