What is special about this course?
The Continuing Professional Development (CPD) award in Community Development has been designed to meet the specific development and training needs of Gaelic organisations and public authorities working in communities to maintain and regenerate the Gaelic language.
You will look at community development for all settings, rural and urban, that are sensitive to the requirements of Gaelic language development. You will develop skills to plan for language and community development, drawing together theoretical knowledge with practical steps in community and language revitalisation.
- You will gain access to teaching, learning and research of the highest standard in language and community development, with a focus on Scottish Gaelic, enhancing your employability and professional skills
- You will follow a course of self-study supported by telephone tutorials and access to online learning resources
- Content will be of particular benefit to Gaelic development officers, language planning officers, community and economic development co-ordinators and Gaelic education professionals
- The CPD Award can also be studied in Gaelic, see: Duais LDL ann an Leasachadh Coimhearsnachd
- 3 Scottish Highers at grade C or above
- Applicants with other relevant qualifications and/or work experience will be considered on an individual basis
- All applicants will be interviewed, usually by telephone
- Gaelic: Past & Present Developing
- Gaelic Communities: Practical Skills
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (Structured)
- Part-time (Unstructured)
- You will follow this course through self-directed study, supported by telephone tutorials and access to online learning resources
How long will my course last?
Each module is usually completed over one semester, with two telephone tutorials per week
Where can I study my course?
- Lews Castle College UHI
- Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
The CPD award will enhance your employment opportunities in various sectors for example:
- Community Development Agencies
- Public Bodies
Can I progress into further study?
You may be able to progress to other awards or degree programmes within the Gaelic and Related studies scheme or other UHI awards.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.