Celtic Studies NC
What is special about this course?
- You will develop an understanding of the Gaelic world, including its culture, language, history and heritage.
- You will have the opportunity to explore similar issues across a range of Celtic cultures.
- The course will provide you with the opportunity to improve your fluency and literacy in Gaelic.
- The course will enhance personal and social skills.
- You may study individual units for personal or professional development.
While access to this award will be at the discretion of the centre it would be beneficial if candidates possessed one of the following:
- 3 Standard Grades at band 3 (general) or above or Intermediate 2, one of which should be English
- Work experience or Volunteering in the creative and cultural industries
The course includes the opportunity to study local sites of archaeological interest, genealogy, folklore, Gaelic literature and Scottish history with particular reference to Gaeldom. The course will also include field trips to relevant local sites of interest. Students will be able to study a range of Gaelic language modules depending on their ability. These will be agreed with the student adviser at the beginning of the course. For students who can demonstrate competence in music there may be the opportunity to study contemporary Gaelic song writing.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
How long will my course last?
This is a one year further education course for those interested in the diverse field of Celtic studies. You will be given the opportunity to study the language, literature and cultural heritage of Gaelic Scotland. You will also be given the opportunity to explore similar issues across a range of Celtic cultures. The Gaelic language element of the course will be tailored to the Gaelic linguistic level of the individual student. Successful completion of the course may lead to progression on to CertHE level courses in Gaelic studies, or other subjects offered by Lews Castle College.
Where can I study my course?
- Lews Castle College, UHI, Stornoway
Costs as advertised.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On completion of this course, you could seek employment in the creative and cultural industries, for posts such as trainee venue assistant, front of house, tour guide, museum guide.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Celtic Studies NC
We are no longer accepting applications for 2021/22
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Lews Castle College UHI. Lews Castle College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.