What is special about this course?
This course is designed to meet the needs of students wishing to gain employment in a wide range of engineering disciplines or as a route to HNC/HND Engineering Systems and further progression onto the BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering; Electrical and Electronic Engineering; Electrical and Mechanical Engineering; Energy Engineering. This course gives the student an excellent integrated qualification and training to industry standard.
Candidates would normally be expected to have attained one of the following:
3 National 5 qualifications including a maths and science subject;
3 Intermediate 2 qualifications including a maths and science subject;
3 Standard grades (grade 3 or above) including a maths and science subject;
Other equivalent qualifications;
Suitable industrial experience and training.
Applicants will be interviewed prior to acceptance on the course. Lews Castle College encourages open access to all its courses.
Subjects studied include -
- Computer Aided Draughting
- Strength of Materials
- Pneumatics and Hydraulics
- Engineering Thermodynamic
- Engineering Dynamics
- Engineering Prime Movers
- Engineering Materials
Practical skills including -
- Fitting using hand skills - using a range of hand tools for cutting, shaping and fitting techniques appropriate to the material and operation.
- Machining engineering materials - using lathes, milling machines and grinding machines to produce components/assemblies.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
How long will my course last?
1 year full-time
Where can I study my course?
- Lews Castle College, UHI, Stornoway
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Students who achieve NC Engineering may progress to:
- HNC/HND Engineering Systems
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Electrical and Mechanical Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Energy Engineering
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.