What is special about this course?
This course is designed for people who are interested in care work with adults and children and provides students with the skills and knowledge relevant to work in care environments. This course is designed to give an introduction to training for a career in the Health and Social Care sector.
It is aimed at school leavers or adult returners who have limited work experience in this area and few formal qualifications. Students will be encouraged to consider a wide range of career options after this course, both in Care and in other areas. Although the emphasis of the course is on providing Care training, students will be given the opportunity to consider all the career options available to them on completion of this course.
- The College encourages open access to all its courses.
- Applications are particularly welcome from people who have some experience of caring for others but this is not essential.
- A genuine interest in caring for others, a willingness to learn and a positive attitude could be regarded as an entry qualification.
- School leavers should have a minimum of 3 Standard grades at Level 3 or above, or 3 passes at National 4 Level.
This course consists of the Skills for Work: Health Sector Award, as well as the National 5 Care Award.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
This course is full-time and requires the student to spend 36 weeks on course work.
One week is spent on placement.
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Lews Castle College, UHI, Stornoway
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- Employment as care assistants in residential and community care.
- Health Social and Child Studies level 6.
- Prepare to Care level 6
- Appropriate SVQs in Care.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.