Health, Social and Child Studies SQA Level 6
What is special about this course?
The aim of the course is to prepare students for progression from college to higher education, employment and/or further training within Health, Social Care or Childcare through the development of knowledge, skills and understanding required to work in the Care sector. Students will undertake a minimum of one week’s placement experience during the session. The college will ensure that all students become members of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme (PVG Scheme) prior to their placement experience.
- It is expected that candidates should have a minimum of four standard grades at 3 or above or four passes at National 4 or have successfully achieved Health Social and Child Studies Intermediate 2 course or National 5, including the external exam.
- The target students are: fifth and sixth year school leavers; adult returners; those seeking new skills; career changers.
Category 2 PVG course: PVG Scheme membership is required for specific optional modules/unit(s), where there is guaranteed contact with vulnerable groups in optional module/unit(s), but an alternative pathway exists to achieve target qualification. For further information visit this webpage https://www.uhi.ac.uk/en/studying-at-uhi/first-steps/admissions/protecting-vulnerable-groups/
The course includes:
- Care Higher
- Psychology Higher
- NC Health and Social Care level 6 award
- SQA units specific to Health, Social and Childcare
The practical placement allows students to appreciate the qualities, attitudes and skills required before making a final commitment to a caring profession.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
How long will my course last?
36 weeks full time or longer part time.
Where can I study my course?
- Lews Castle College, UHI, Stornoway
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Candidates who complete the Health Social and Child Studies Level 6 course might progress to -
- SVQs in Care and care-related areas
- HNC Childhood Practice
- BA Hons Health Studies or BA Hons Health and Welfare
- BA Child and Youth Studies
- A BSc Degree in Nursing
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Health, Social and Child Studies SQA Level 6
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Lews Castle College UHI. Lews Castle College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.