Hebridean Gardeners SVQ
What is special about this course?
Have you always wanted to create a garden but just weren’t sure how to start? This year Cothrom Ltd in partnership with Lews Castle College will be offering a basic level course to introduce you to horticulture in Uist and Barra.
You will learn about what grows well in the islands, how to improve the look of your garden or allotment and how to use a range of equipment
The flexible programme delivered from Ormiclate, South Uist will lead you through the process of seed planting and caring for seedlings to how to dig the potato patch, enjoy the harvest of your own vegetables and much more.
This free course is accredited through SQA and is ideal for complete beginners or those who are already working or volunteering in this field. The 9-month course will enable you to gain an SVQ Level 1 in horticulture whilst working in your own garden, be that large or small.
No previous qualifications or gardening experience is necessary for this introductory course.
To achieve the qualification, you must complete the following mandatory units:
- F7TG 04 Maintain Safe and Effective Working Practices
- F7RL 04 Assist with Planting and Establishing Plants
- F7RF 04 Assist with Maintaining Plants
You must complete three of the following units:
- F7W0 04 Transport Supplies of Physical Resources within the Work Area
- F7S3 04 Assist with Maintenance of Grass Surfaces
- F7RH 04 Assist with Maintaining Structures and Surfaces
- F7RV 04 Assist with the Maintenance of Equipment
- F7SA 04 Assist with the Vegetative Propagation of Plants
- F7S7 04 Assist with the Propagation of Plants from Seed
- F7RB 04 Assist with Harvesting, Collecting and Preparing Crops
- F7RC 04 Assist with Identifying the Presence of, and Controlling, Common Pests and Diseases
- F7S5 04 Assist with the Preparation of Growing Media
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Colaisde Bheinn na Faoghla (Benbecula)
Costs as advertised.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Successful completion of this course would allow candidates to progress to SVQ level 2.
The course is designed to help individuals develop a working knowledge of gardening in Uist for both personal and professional use. This course is an effective early stepping stone for those hoping to gain professional qualifications in horticulture.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
To apply for this course please contact either:
Lews Castle College UHI Benbecula Campus on 01851 770 500
Cothrom on 01878 700 910
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Lews Castle College UHI. Lews Castle College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.