What is special about this course?
This level of study will give candidates realistic practical experience in a range of basic skills and tasks such as maintaining safety and hygiene in the kitchen, handling and cleaning cooking equipment and developing effective working relationships with colleagues and meeting with clients.
Candidates will learn how to work in a modern food production environment using a variety of techniques, including frying, baking, poaching, grilling and steaming.
On successful completion of the course candidates will be awarded the Scottish Vocational Qualifications at Level 1 in Food Preparation and Cooking.
- This is a one year full-time course aimed at school leavers or adult learners with no formal qualifications or catering experience.
To achieve the qualification you must complete the following mandatory units -
- F9DA -4 – Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- F9DC 04 – Work effectively as part of a hospitaltiy team
- F9DK 04 – Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
You must complete four of the following units –
- F968 04- Prepare vegetables
- F9DE 04 – Cook vegetables
- F9DH 04 – Prepare and cook fish
- F9DJ 04 – Prepae and cook meat and poultry
- F9DF 04 – Prepare and finish simple salad and fruit dishes
- F9DG 04 – Prepare hot and cold sandwiches
- F969 04 – Prepare and cook pasta
- F96A 04 – Prepare and cook rice
- F96C 04 – Prepare and cook eggs
- F96F 04 – Cook and finish simple bread and dough products
In Addition candidates will complete an individual practical project -
D286 Intermediate 2 Foods of the world Catering & Hospitality
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
How long will my course last?
1 Year full time
This course is full-time and requires the student to spend 36 weeks on course work.
Where can I study my course?
- Lews Castle College, UHI, Stornoway
Most full-time students will have their fees paid.
Students on part-time courses may also be eligible to have their course fees waived.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Successful completion of this course would allow candidates to progress to SVQ level 2.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.