Student services

The staff working in student services can help with a wide range of issues outside your actual coursework that may be getting in the way of you being able to focus on your studies.

Finance and money

We can help with:

  • Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) and Bursary applications, payments and queries
  • Travel costs - bus passes and travel costs for eligible Further Education Students
  • Discretionary and Childcare Funds – for both Further and Higher Education, funds are limited and means-tested.
  • Student Award Agency Scotland (SAAS) queries
  • Benefit queries –  what you can claim when you are a student
  • Council Tax reduction/exemption – see Reception or to get a letter.

We can also provide Foodbank vouchers for students based on Lewis and Harris.  Reception staff at our Benbecula campus can provide food parcels for Uist-based students from the Trussel Trust who run the Western Isles Foodbank.


Health and welfare

You may have problems at home, a health issue that is worrying you, or be facing homelessness or housing problems.  You can talk to us in confidence about any issues that are affecting you.

Registering with a Doctor

If you have moved away from home to attend Lews castle College UHI you should register with a local doctor. This is important because:

  • Getting medical attention can be difficult if you are suddenly taken ill and have not registered with a GP
  • Absence from college for a period of five days or more requires a medical certificate (self-certification is ok for up to five days). provides comprehensive up-to-date health information and self-care advice for people living in Scotland at and 0845242424 outside surgery hours or for general queries about health.

Generally, being a student does not entitle you to automatic discounts on optician and dental  charges, however, other circumstances may mean you are entitled to free or discounted charges.  You must complete an HC1 application form that is available from most Doctors, Dental Surgeries, Chemists, Benefits Offices or Post Offices.

For more information on entitlement, contact NHS Patient Enquiry Line

T: 0845 850 1166.


You can protect yourself against meningitis and septicaemia -  new Government Policy gives all students entering University for the first time a chance to get immunisation against Meningitis . To find out how to get this important vaccination contact

For more information see also or read this guidance.


In Student Services we can help with a wide variety of issues and put you in touch with outside agencies that provide specialist help and information, such as the Citizens Advice Bureau, Western Isles Foyer Project, CnES Homelessness Service, Breathing Space, CAHMS etc.

You can talk to us or contact us in confidence.

Call in or contact us on


We have a college counsellor who offers face to face counselling at the Stornoway Campus. She is completely independent of the college and you can arrange an appointment to speak to her either by emailing or you can contact Student Services. This service is completely confidential.

She is also qualified to do telephone counselling, for our students who are based outside Stornoway.

UHI also has an e-counselling service, which is open to all students. To find out more email the service at

greenbutton100.jpgLCC students can also access an online counselling service by completing this form or follow the link on the green button.




Many people have some additional study support needs – this may be for a condition such as dyslexia or a physical or mental health issue. Some people may only need help and support for a short time, whilst others may require it for the duration the course of the whole academic year.

Support can include different exam arrangements, extra tutor support assistive technology or extra time to complete assessments. Our aim is to help you to be able to achieve the best qualifications that you can whilst you are with us.

Please contact us to talk about your requirements. This may involve working with you to produce a Personal Learning Support Plan.

Whatever the issue, please contact Student Services as soon as possible to discuss your needs. You will need to provide evidence of any disability or health condition.

If you are on a HNC, HND degree or postgraduate qualification, you may be eligible to apply for support through the Disabled Student Allowance, through SAAS or your regional funding body if you are not a Scottish student.  Again, please ask for further information from Student Services.


If you are looking for help with the cost of childcare whilst you are a student, the college has some funds that may help. However, these funds are cash-limited and are given on a first-come, first-served basis. The care must be with a registered childcare provider e.g. childminder, nursery or after school club.

You also have to meet certain eligibility criteria and apply for the funding before you start your course.

We only pay for childcare during college term-time, not the college holidays. Payments are made direct to the childcare provider and are made in arrears. 

Please contact Student Services as soon as you are thinking about coming to college to discuss how we might be able to help.

An Cotan Nursery, Stornoway

The College has some places reserved at our own nursery, An Cotan for students. However, places are limited so you need to talk to the Nursery Manager, Erica Gearty and Student Services as soon as you can.

An Cotan Childcare Centre is next door to the college’s Stornoway Campus, within the grounds of Lews Castle. The building has been designed to provide a warm, safe and caring environment in which children have opportunities for learning through play with challenging educational activities and materials.

An Cotan can accommodate 35 children at any one time, nine under 2 year olds, ten 2-3 year olds and sixteen 3-5 year olds. Each of these age groups has their own room.

There are 10 staff members, including the Nursery Manager and a team of regular relief staff. To ensure that An Cotan delivers a high standard of care and education, it is regularly inspected by the Social Care and Social Work Improvement Scotland (SCSWIS) and HM Inspectorate of Education.

If you require further information please contact Erica Gearty, Nursery Manager, direct on 01851 770472 or email

Other Childcare Providers

College funds can be used to pay for other nurseries or childminders as long as they are Registered Childcare Providers.


If you are looking for help and guidance around your next steps after college, we may be able to help. Ask Student Services for more information.

Skills Development Scotland

We can refer people on to Skills Development Scotland who offer an all-round careers service to school students and those taking qualifications at levels 3 to 6. We can refer students to the local office as appropriate –

  • Call  01851 708900 for the Stornoway Office,
  • Or 01870604926/927 for the Benbecula  Office.

For more details contact: and

UHI Careers Centre

If you are taking an HNC, HND, degree or postgraduate qualification, you can use the UHI Careers Centre. This is a virtual centre, staffed by real people who are experts in their field.

Their services include:

  • Jobs database – you can register for details of jobs to be notified to you
  • CV Health Check – is your CV up to scratch?
  • Interview advice
  • One to one guidance sessions – via telephone or VC, as well as an email advice service.
  • Advice sheets on job related topics
  • Information about graduate placement schemes

And much more……….

Check out their website for full details of what they offer

Their Facebook page is also full of interesting opportunities and valuable tips and news – like and follow it to keep up to date

Contact Us

The Student Services Office is based at the Stornoway Campus, next to the Library. At the start of term, there will be specific times when you can come and see us. Other than that we operate an open door policy. We cannot always deal with your issues immediately but can schedule an appointment to discuss a specific issue at a mutually convenient time.

For all students, we can be contacted via email and telephone and will aim to help and support you, wherever you may be.

For general queries: 01851 770242

If you know who you want to speak to:

Catherine Kelso.jpgCatherine Kelso 01851 770242

  • Bursary and EMA queries
  • Childcare and Discretionary Funding
  • Bus passes
  • Attendance Policy


David Bell.jpgDavid Bell 01851 770321

  • Further Education Disability
  • Class Representatives
  • Student Events
  • Highlands and islands Student Association (HISA)


Kate Mawby.jpgKate Mawby 01851 770280

  • Higher Education Disability
  • Higher Education Funding queries
  • Childcare and Discretionary Funding
  • Welfare issues
  • UHI Careers

College Counsellor: email

e-counselling -